What Almost No One Knows About Taxes

How You Can Get W-2 from a Previous Employer

An individual has a personal responsibility over filing tax returns within the appropriate time as required by the Internal Revenue Service. Getting a W-2 form is a crucial aspect in the process of filing tax returns with the IRS since it provides needed information concerning the income that an employee has made from employment within a year of work. Employers are needed to issue a W-2 to the government and employees by 31 January every year. The information in a W-2 form is used by employees for filing their income tax returns for the year. When one quits their job, it is still necessary that the employer gets them the W-2 form to be used in the filing of returns. It is thus necessary that one is familiar with what it takes to get a W-2 from the previous employer so that they will get the form in good time and submit the same within the appropriate timeframe as set by the IRS. Find some helpful information regarding what to do to get a W-2 from the previous employer.

A person can wait for the previous employer to send the W-2 by 31 January as would be the case on a regular basis. A person can also ask an employer to provide them with the W-2 form earlier than 31 January, whereby the employer must give the W-2 form within 30 days after the request is made.

If the W-2 form doesn’t get to you by Valentine’s Day, it is necessary that you take some steps to get the W-2 from an old job. The requirement for this is because you will still need to file your tax returns within the set timeframe despite the time when you get the W-2. One of the measures to take is to ask your former HR representative to provide you with the W-2. For a company without an HR representative, you can contact the boss directly to get your W-2 form. It is necessary for you to ensure that you provide them with the correct address.

One can contact their previous payroll administrator to get the W-2 form. You may be required to confirm the necessary details of your employment as well as confirming your current address. If the payroll administrator says they have already mailed the W-2, you can ask them to confirm the date, and you may also request for a replacement form.

One can also contact the IRS if the methods above do not work. One needs to have the relevant information about the employer, the previous employers identification number and information about one’s salary and wages. The IRS will contact the employer to require the missing form and will issue you with another form to fill out.

6 Lessons Learned: Income

Finding Similarities Between Paperwork and Life